In Pursuit of the Chicken Bun

  • 0


“He is only heard, not seen.”

After having spent six weeks in Sri Lanka, what mystified me the most about my stay was the Chicken Bun. Before my lament begins, let’s quickly go through the basics:

Chicken Bun: A savoury snack which consists of a chicken patty in a soft bun.
Chicken Bun Man: The driver of a three-wheeled bakery.

Now, what does a three-wheeled bakery look like? Imagine a popemobile - the one where His Holiness is surrounded by bulletproof glass - but instead of a religious figure, there is an assortment of baked goods. The most popular baked good, the Chicken Bun, will be the name that I bestow upon the driver of this vehicle.

The concept is simple. The Chicken Bun Man spends his time driving through the winding backstreets of Sri Lanka, selling bread to hungry passersby. He announces his arrival with a merry tune that reaches the ears of residents far and wide.

It wasn’t long before the music of the Chicken Bun had lost its charm on me. At the end of six weeks, the once cheerful melody had planted itself in the darkest corner of my mind, forever haunting my memories with feelings of torment and loss. The pain I felt was the result of many unsuccessful attempts at finding the Chicken Bun Man. His music flooded alleyways and filled living rooms, but his whereabouts remained shrouded in mystery. I am starting to wonder if “Phantom of the Bakery” is a more appropriate name for this man.

My desperation grew. Exhausted from chasing scent trails and driven mad by hunger, I had thrown my fists in the air and begged the sky for mercy. I wanted divine beings to harness the arcane power of the poultry gods and bless me with a bun. Sadly, my stay in Sri Lanka ended before I could find the wheeled bakery. With a heavy heart, I left the country empty-handed.

And so, as I write this in the dead of night, jet-lagged and with Ceylon tea coursing through my veins, I can’t help but reflect on what the journey of the Chicken Bun has taught me.

If you are given a chance to explore a path less travelled in life, take it. There will be moments when you feel completely lost and helpless, but be patient. Be humble and be grateful. Thank the people you meet who add color to your life and inspire you. Embrace spontaneity and seek adventure; sometimes the strangest adventure will surprise you with the sweetest laughter. Enjoy each drop of rain, remember the gentle touch of the wind, and bathe in the warm sunlight. I promise you, the path will reward you with dreams and wonder. It will brighten your spirit and mend your soul. The path will fill you with curiosity and love for the most unexpected. Treasure these moments, because when you reach the path’s end, you will face a heartbreaking task – saying goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment