Tyler's Blog

  • 0
With full of expectation and anxiety, I threw myself in a new environment where there are full of strangers, different food, and different atmosphere. In contrast with my anxiety, I can confidently say that I spent the most meaningful and enjoyable summer with great people I met during my stay in Sri Lanka. 

Meek and mild personality is not helpful when you meet a new person. As you may know, giving a favorable first impression of yourself to others is very important because people tend to judge others when they first meet by the impression that they get. Even though I know what I need to do give others a good impression of me, I was not confident to do that in front of new people because I became very quiet and kept the awkwardness. Dispelling all the fear and approaching to other EPs first, my dynamic and fun experience in Sri Lanka has started.

The most memorable part in Sri Lanka is that I received too much spotlights from local citizens. Because it is unusual for local people to see and meet foreigners, they will look at me with full of curiosity and/or start to say hello first. In first, I felt uncomfortable and awkward because I was being greeted too much in this country just by being a foreigner. Moreover, it was something that I have never experienced. As I get to know more and understand about this country, I was very touched by people’s kindness. People were more than happy to help me whenever I ask a question and they would try their the best to answer my question. Some may question me what is so special about it. What is so special about this is that, without any exaggeration, every each one of them is kind enough to help you if you just grab anybody on the street. 

After feeling their sincerity and kindness, I was more open and wanted to give back the kindness that I received from them. There was no need to have wariness over them. I did not have to be suspicious about them. I remember one of the teachers I met during the school session telling me that talking to foreigners is something big and different experience for them. By sharing my experience, learning about Sri Lanka, eating local food, and communicating with local people, I tried to be mingled with Sri Lankan people wherever I traveled.

I am very happy that I can confidently say I succeeded mingling with people during my stay in Sri Lanka. I want to say thank you so much to Sri Lanka for sharing your kindness, culture, and places. 6 weeks of my stay passed very quickly and I was already feeling longing about Sri Lanka on the day when I was leaving the country. My journey was great and I am more than satisfied with the valuable memories that I take from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment